Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Decorating Tips from Nina Part III: Mercury Glass



















Shiny Things

I hide coins for my son to find
drop nickels ‘round the playground swing
seed quarters under sawdust by the slide
place dimes beside the whirlawheel
I act surprised when he discovers
a penny along the woodchip trail
delight in the excitement on his face
his lucky smile finding unexpected shiny things
I seek objects that shine
collect and hold them in my hands
assorted coins that shimmer
crows so bright they start
the fire burning in the sky
my son his brilliant eyes
I turn them in the light
then hide them in my heart





Today’s lesson in ‘the Nina Hartmann look’ is the importance of mercury glass.

She uses shades made of mercury glass over task lighting in her kitchen and candlesticks.  They add sparkle without bling, because the tarnish softens the effect.  It’s like displaying silver without the chore of polishing. 

Try massing them in front of mirrors.  With shimmery candles lit at twilight the effect is pure delight.

Mercury glass votives do double duty as charming vases.

I’d love the real thing, but they’re prohibitively expensive in antique stores and the web.  I found my reproduction candlesticks at The Sheep’s Nest ($80 for 4) and my real one at The Barking Dog in High Falls, NY ($15 because it’s chipped), and reproduction votives at Anthropologie ($12).




Until next time, stay shabby!




Sharing with:

White Wednesday at Faded Charm 

What's It Wednesday at Ivy & Elephants 

Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style  

Favorite Things Thursday at Katherine's Corner 

Creative Things Thursday at The Vintage Farmhouse  

Feathered Nest Friday at The French Country Cottage  

Farmhouse Friday at LaurieAnna's Vintage Home 

Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground 

Show & Tell Friday at My Romantic Home