Sunday, August 8, 2010

Gifts from Beth, Fifi, Mary, Rosemary, and ‘A Lady’




This is an Ode to A Lady, correction, five Ladies.   
I've given my sincere thanks to dear new friends that presented me with tangible home decor 
gifts this past spring of dizzy joy, and now I’d like to share them with you, gentle reader.





The first gift is from Fifi O’Neill, and I hope all her dearest dreams come true for her as she made 
mine: a feature in her magazine Romantic Country .    A French grave-marker memorial heart 
of iron and enamel, rescued from further rotting in the ground of a forgotten Gallic grave. 
These relics are dismissed by the natives, but some of us foreigners find them lovely.


“ICI REPOSE AUSSINE Marie, decedee le 4 Avril 1931, a l’age de 86 ans, regrets eternel”.



The Edwardian Lady Marie Aussine and her welcome ‘French accent’ will live on 
in my tiny studio, no ‘regrets eternel’ here.   Going forward, every time I see this heart, 
I will be reminded of Fifi’s heart—her love of life, beauty, animals, and having 
the heart to handcraft her dreams into reality.







The second gift is Mary Randolph Carter’s  latest book For the Love of Old
I don’t have a picture of it as it’s still on its way to me because she was moved by my feature 
in the Times.    If its spine turns out to be a color that doesn’t harmonize with my décor's
 palette, I will employ the book cover Beth of Tattered Vintage  gave me.    She instinctively 
knows what I need – even though I bought a cadre of her designs for the first of two tapings 
for a show I'm going to be on (I signed documents prohibiting me from sharing that with you
at this time, but I will later), she included this in the email.    
It’s the one I chose to illustrate for the segment, and I hope it makes it in.






The third isn’t a present in the literal sense because I bought it, the present was the gift 
of time and trouble from Rosemary of Ozma of Odds.    I know the lip of my loft is 
unfinished and ugly, but I am wondering how to resolve it cheaply and practically, 
for I still need to draw the curtains and place ladders there. 

Five days before the taping of the show I keep hinting at, it came to my sluggish mind 
that a pair of her $9 each pretty rose petal garlands would do, only in white.  



 A pair of Ozma of Odds rose petal garlands along the edge of my loft's facade.


I received them from the other side of America not only in time, but with her usual 
thoughtful packaging.    Needless to say, I was in such a hurry I didn't take the time to 
photograph the package, but it was lovely as always.   
Doing business with artists is bliss. 




An anonymous artist I will call ‘A Lady’ sent me multiple packages of art supplies 
of great desirability and use.    Pretty jars hold the good sort of German glass glitter, 
vintage pearls, lace, and ribbon.    I opened the latter up so quickly I tossed aside the idea 
of posting about that part, for I desperately needed lace trim for a eurosquare pillow 





…and bows for Lady ZuZu! 






I’m not sure how I deserve such tender gestures, but I sure am very grateful 
I have such sweet followers.    My blushing thanks to every one of you, each 'A Lady'.

Until next time, stay shabby!